United Services Federal Credit Union was started in 1949 first serving Rossford Army Depot Employees. When word of the Depot closing was received, the credit union moved to the Federal Building and began serving Federal and Military employees stationed in the Toledo area (specifically Lucas, Wood and Ottawa counties). When the decision was made to demolish the Federal Building, the credit union relocated to the U.S. Courthouse.
The credit union is now a full-service financial institution that continues to serve Federal and Military employees, and their immediate family members, for all their financial needs.
United Services Federal Credit Union was chartered under federal law. Federally chartered credit unions are regulated by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), an independent agency of the U.S. Government. NCUA's three board members are nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate.
Other credit unions may be state chartered and are regulated by their state credit union department. NCUA administers the federal insurance fund, NCUSIF, which covers all federal credit unions, and most state chartered credit unions. No taxpayer money is used for regulating and overseeing federal credit unions, as all activities of NCUA and the NCUSIF are funded by credit unions.